Thursday, February 25, 2010

Condescension: A Measured Response.


T
his post was originally meant as a response to a comment that I received on one of my previous posts, "Does Anyone Feel Like This as a Homosexual?" My response became too lengthy, so I've decided to post it here, separately.

T
hank you for the input Michael. There was no condescension intended in my post, "Does Anyone Feel Like This as a Homosexual?" Although you might not be familiar with it, "unwashed masses" is a well known idiomatic expression. At first glance, it's definition may give the impression that there is intent to condescend, but the arrow is easily dodged by the reader, if he simply chooses not to see himself as one, among them. It's only offensive if the reader fails to disassociate himself from the pointy end of the phrase. My use of this idiom fit the particular thought I was trying to convey, and matches the style in which I write. Hackers, geeks, gays and intellectuals tend to be members of an isolated and esoteric class of people, which is just a more polite way of saying, 'outcasts.' We're used to being dismissed and marginalized by the majority of society. Sometimes this may come across in our writings as arrogance. It is not. I'm sorry if you took offense to the use of this particular idiom in my blog.

I
don't write for anyone but myself. If others can get something out of what I write, good for them, but I'm not writing for any particular audience. If condescending to my readers was my intent, I wouldn't have the foggiest notion where to begin. I don't know who they are, I don't know them and I don't know what might offend them. So, unless they comment, I'm unable aim any barbs. With that said, I have no need or desire to prove myself to anyone. For evidence of this, please re-read the very last paragraph of the post, "Does Anyone Feel Like This as a Homosexual?"

A
s for seeming to be a 'know-it-all,' that's as much dependent upon the knowledge base of the reader (or lack thereof), as it is upon whatever knowledge the writer may possess or choose to express. For example, a college professor will have a very different perspective on a writer's offerings than will, say, a truck driver. I only write what I know, and if I'm unsure, I try my best to make that known; or better yet, refrain completely from writing about things I don't know about.

M
y point of view may be better served by conveying to you a story from my college years. I once took issue with one of my chemistry professors, because it seemed to me that he spoke in a high handed, condescending manner to his students. The first time I heard him speak as a guest lecturer to my class, I took an immediate dislike to him. He used phrases such as, "I shall wax wrath," and enunciated each word with an exquisite precision, known only in the mechanisms of fine Swiss watches. The way he spoke set my teeth on edge and probably would have made you livid. I loathed him.

A
few semesters later, I took a class that this professor was offering, because I needed it for graduation. He was the only person teaching it that semester, so i grudgingly signed up. I didn't want to delay my graduation simply to avoid this professor. I remember the day I discovered I'd misjudged him. On that day, during a lab session, he became frustrated because he couldn't express an idea in a way I could understand. He began to stutter. The image of this is seared into memory. Here was this pretentious, Holier-Than-Thou man, unable to control his speech for several agonizing minutes. At that point, it was immediately clear what information I'd missed during my initial appraisal of him. He spoke in his very characteristic and deliberate way, not because he had a desire to condescend, but because he had no choice. He had developed his peculiar way of speaking, to overcome his terrible speech impediment! I was stunned and humbled. That day, I learned a very valuable lesson.

A
fter realizing my error, this very same professor, who I'd prejudged and loathed for such a long time before getting to know him, turned out to be one of the most effective, engaging, kind hearted, and beloved teachers I've ever had the pleasure to learn from. He'd taught me more than Analytical Chemistry. He enriched my life experience.

A
few years later, I befriended another person with an advanced vocabulary, but this time i was prepared to learn more about him before making the assumption that he though better of himself than he did others. I admired him for his skill and grace with the English language. Once I mentioned it to him. He responded in a very thoughtful and considered manner, which I shall paraphrase, "The English language belongs to each and every one of us. What a shame if you only marvel at it, but never make use of it to it's full advantage and potential." He couldn't have spoken truer words. Though I have no handicap of speech to overcome, I now do my best to improve my vocabulary and language skills, without being pretentious. I write no differently than I think. I only wish i was as skilled at expressing myself orally. It'll take much practice.

I
know that you're familiar with this concept, Michael. Enrichment of vocabulary and encouraging its use in everyday language, is the sole purpose behind the "Erudite Vocabulary" module for the iPhone App, "smart.fm." I know you're not the type to niggle, so please know that I take no offense to your criticism. I appreciate the thought and effort that went into your comment. I hope that you appreciate my response in equal measure. Thanks again.

4 comments:

Michael Unbreakable said...

T'was not I who took upon such great offense, dear scallion. I was merely giving my opinion of how others might feel.

I was informed of the idiom "unwashed masses" only because it is general common sense. Would I care to use such an idiom? Not at all because some would just say "simpleton."

While reading your blog, I felt as though you were trying yet again to stretch your thoughts. When I read what you write, I think of many easy ways to sum up what you've written. To me, it's almost as if you're a babbling erudite who sometimes, [sometimes], cannot explain in such short margins what you mean.

"He couldn't have spoken truer words." I vividly remember sharing with you a phrase that I came to know and understand on my own: "English is the free-thinking language." You protested it and have often called me out on using adjectives a certain way even though the way I used them could be understood if one applied more thought to it.

It is true that I'm not the niggling type, but I am the type to objectively offer criticism. Not once was I offended by your post nor did I assume you to be a pretentious bastard.

I know you far better than that. :) I would agree with myself when I say that I feel slightly mislead, in a way, when I read your writing because it doesn't match up with how you orally communicate.

I've known you only in person, so knowing you through your writing is a little different.

Unknown said...

I shall endeavor to sum up my perception of your criticism in a short margin:

You don't like the style in which I write.

In equivalent brevity:

That's okay; it doesn't weigh heavily upon me, because I understand that not everyone will. Peoples tastes are out of my control.

Michael Unbreakable said...

Sorry, Glen.

Unknown said...

No worries Michael.